15 Bean Soup With Sausage
We had a package of 15 bean soup mix in our Angel Food order this month. When I’ve bought such things before it was the expected mix of pintos, white beans, split peas, lentils, kidney beans, etc., but when I see “mix” on the package, I expect, you know…seasonings and instructions. But no. It was basically a bag of mixed beans and nothing else. So I got to improvise. I figure smoked sausage always goes well with beans, so I used that as a base and came up with the following, which I thought would make for a decent first entry for Souper Sundays, hosted by Kahakai Kitchen.
- 1 pound smoked turkey sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 package 15 bean mix (you know the kind that comes with every bean imaginable in one package)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tsps salt free creole seasoning like Tony Chachere’s
- ground pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- Well I didn’t strictly follow the quick soak method on the bag. I did boil the beans for 1-2 minutes, but I only soaked them for about 20 minutes before draining them and adding them to my crock pot. You can totally put them in dry, but soaking them first reduces the more, um, gaseous side effects.
- While the beans are soaking, dice the turkey sausage and onion, and mince the garlic. Add to crock pot.
- Add in the can of tomatoes.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Add the beans.
- Add enough water to cover the beans (within an inch or so of the top of a 6 quart cooker).
- Add the creole seasoning and some fresh ground pepper (I eyeballed the pepper but it was maybe 1/2 a tsp).
- Cook on low for seven-eight hours.
I tried this without salt at all, but I found that it just didn’t taste quite right. So you’ll want to add salt to taste either upon serving or during the last little bit of cooking. This works out to 6 servings at 426 calories and 8.75 grams of fat.