Gluten Free Friday: Double Chocolate Brownies
In the holiday season, we’re inundated with all kinds of sweet treats—almost none of which are gluten free. It’s the south. We deal. My concession one night was to make up a batch of gluten free, slightly healthier homemade brownies. These are rich, moist, and delicious. Nobody would know they were gluten free or lighter. This makes a 9×9 pan of 12 brownies at 172 calories and 6.75 grams of fat.
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup dark cocoa powder (heaping)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Splenda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup gluten-free flour mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray.
3. Mix everything but the chocolate chips until you have a nice smooth batter.
4. Add the chocolate chips.
5. Pour into prepared baking dish.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes (don’t overcook!).
7. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then carefully remove the foil insert and fold it down to enable easy cutting.