Dairy Free Lemon (Not) Yogurt Cake with Freezer Fruit Compote
One of my favorite desserts that I’ve featured on the blog here before was my gluten free Lemon Yogurt Cake with Freezer Fruit Compote. It’s like a pound cake but lighter, with a lovely bright lemon flavor that just hits the spot for spring. Since I had 3/4ths of a package of silken tofu left from another recipe fail, I had to figure out SOMETHING to do with it. As a vegan friend said she often uses it in baking, I decided to take the leap and try converting this recipe to be dairy free as well as gluten free. The end result was moist, delicious, and–most importantly–indistinguishable from the original version.
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup silken tofu, blitzed in food processor or blender until smooth and creamy
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- special equipment
- 8 1/2 4 1/4-inch loaf pan
- For the compote
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 3 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 tbs Earth Balance Spread
- 2 tbs coconut oil (you can do all of this OR Earth Balance, I was just working with what I had)
- 2 tbs sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour; tap out excess.
2. Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and kosher salt in a medium bowl.
3. Using your fingers, rub sugar with lemon zest in a large bowl until sugar is moist. Add tofu, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla extract; whisk to blend. Fold in dry ingredients just to blend.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until top of cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 50–55 minutes.
5. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto rack; let cool completely. DO AHEAD: Can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
6. To make the compote:
7. Melt the Earth Balance and coconut oil over medium heat.
8. Dice the strawberries a little and add to the pan.
9. Add the blueberries.
10. Juice the lemons over the pan (careful not to lose any seeds)
11. Add the sugar.
12. Stir well and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until cooked down and kind of syrupy. This may take quite a while.
13. Let cool a bit and spoon over each slice of cake. The compote will keep in the fridge for several days.