Spicy Corn Chowder
The weather has FINALLY started to cool down and that has me craving soups, stews, and chowders. This is one I created last winter that is a good warm you up meal for a cold day.
- 1 can creamed corn (no sugar added if you can find it)
- 1 can whole kernel corn (no sugar added), drained
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes and peppers, drained)
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3/4ths a can of evaporated skimmed milk
- 4 oz. fat free cream cheese in cubes
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- Melt cubes of cream cheese in the stock over medium heat.
- Add onion, tomatoes and peppers, corn, and creamed corn. Stir.
- Add garlic powder, paprika, cumin, and pepper. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3/4ths a can of evaporated skimmed milk, slowly.
Serve with a slice of dense bread, like sourdough for a light lunch, or add a spinach salad for a full meal. Serves 4.