Black Beans and Rice
My husband loves red beans and rice, but I am very much not a fan of red beans. I do, however, love black beans, so tonight I threw this together. We decided it was a keeper.
Serves: 4 (if served with a side, such as a salad), 3 if served alone
- 1 pound smoked turkey sausage (I prefer Oscar Meyer), sliced
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1 can of rotel, undrained
- 2 cups of brown rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup diced, roasted red peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Saute the garlic and onion over medium high heat until onion is just translucent.
- Add in sausage and roasted red peppers. Cook until sausage begins to brown.
- Add black beans, rotel, and chicken stock. Bring to a bubble then reduce heat to medium low.
- Add 1 tsp cilantro, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp cumin (and these are guesstimates, as I wasn’t measuring, just dumping and sniffing!)
- Simmer until liquid is reduced by half (about 15 minutes?).
- Add brown rice. Simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed (about 5 minutes?).
- Serve with a crusty French bread to mop up the flavors left on the bottom of the bowl.
As a quick update: This dish serves 4 at 430.5 calories and 13.5 grams of fat per person.