Easy Beef Stroganoff
I was looking for something simple to cook for supper tonight. This came together with a lot of household staples and is like a bit more upscale version of homemade hamburger helper.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 package of fresh baby portobella mushroom
- 8 oz whole wheat extra wide noodles
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
- Brown the ground beef, drain and rinse.
- Add can of mushroom soup and 1 canful of water back to the skillet. Mix well.
- Add beef back to skillet.
- Add mushrooms.
- Add spices.
- Bring to low boil and simmer on medium low until liquid is reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles to just before al dente (approx. 8 minutes)
- Add sour cream. Mix well.
- Add noodles and stir well, coating with the sauce and letting them rest for a few minutes as the sauce is absorbed.
Cook’s note: You can substitute stew meat or any cut up beef for the ground beef, and replace the can of water with a good red wine (your preference–I used merlot) to make the sauce more flavorful. Also, add a bit more of the wine and cook the noodles in the sauce for a richer dish.