Roasted Red Pepper Bolognese Sauce
DH and I have been doing Angel Food Ministries for a couple of months, which we’ve really liked. This month’s order had a package of Italian sausage, which is something I never buy, so I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with it. I finally decided that I’d do something with pasta because hey, pasta goes with all things Italian.
- olive oil
- 4 links Italian sausage (about 1 pound)
- 2 roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 oz. fresh baby bella mushrooms
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock (if you make and freeze your sock in ice cube trays, this is 10 cubes’ worth)
- 16 oz. pasta of your choice
- fresh parmesan (optional)
- goat cheese (optional)
- Drizzle a little olive oil in a skillet.
- Remove sausage from casing and brown in the skillet
- Put cooked sausage into a colander (retaining a couple of tablespoons of grease) and rinse well. This cuts way down on the fat content.
- To the remaining grease add onion and garlic and sautee until onion is transluscent.
- Add all ingredients to your crock pot and stir well.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve over the pasta of your choice and top with sprinkles of Parmesan or goat cheese.