Whole Grain Banana Yogurt Oatmeal Muffins
I’ve been on a quest to make the perfect healthy muffin for my husband. Thus far I’ve been able to sneak in whole grains and oatmeal along with his favorite banana bread. Now I’m trying yogurt. DH is not a huge yogurt fan, but we’ve recently read that getting sufficient probiotics helps trim the waistline, and given that yogurt and pickles are the best sources, I immediately set to figuring out how to incorporate yogurt into muffins. Now, I’m not what you would call scientific about making muffins. I start out with a base recipe and then start tweaking and adding stuff–and so long as I wind up with roughly equal amounts of wet and dry, it usually works for me. This recipe was adapted from my original Whole Grain Banana Oatmeal Muffins.
- 6 medium, overripe bananas
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup bread flour
- 1/4 cup milled flax
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the bananas, eggs, vanilla, yogurt, sugar, and oil in one bowl until smooth.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in another bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Add the wet mixture all at once to the dry.
- Mix well.
- Spray your muffin tins with non-stick spray.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.