Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Nothing says summer or 4th of July like homemade ice cream. It’s a family tradition, a once a year treat. My recipe always seems to vary somewhat because I can never find my mom’s original no egg recipe, so it’s usually an experiment. This version made a light and airy ice cream that wasn’t at all heavy after all the fabulous grilled potato salad and Boston butt. It’s a definite keeper. Sorry for the lack of a picture of the ice cream. It disappeared FAST!
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 15 oz. cans of evaporated skimmed milk
- 1 can fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 3/4 cups Splenda
- Pour the 2% milk into a saucepan and scald (until bubbles rise around the edges) over medium low heat.
- Add the Splenda until disolved.
- Mix the remaining ingredients thoroughly and chill for 30-60 minutes.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and follow the directions for your particular maker.