Thoughtless Thursdays: Tuscan Bean Salad
I have no idea why I was in the mood for a bean salad. It’s not something that usually crosses my mind as something to eat. But it’s summer, we’re doing another cookout this weekend, and I wanted something besides the grilled potato salad that has become the fave. We’ve had it 2 weeks running after all. In any event this recipe requires a teeny bit of forethought. But not too much, I promise.
- 1/2 cup navy beans, dried
- 1/2 cup light red kidney beans, dried
- 1/2 cup northern beans, dried
- 1/2 cup black beans, dried
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans, dried
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato vinaigrette (store bought, as I’m out of sun dried tomatoes)
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1 jar roasted red peppers, drained, diced
- The night before you plan to cook your beans, place them in a large bowl and cover by several inches with water. Leave to soak overnight.
- In the morning, drain and rinse the beans and add to your slow cooker with fresh water.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker, drain and rinse with cool water. Allow to drain.
- Add the warm beans to a large bowl with the red peppers, scallions, and dressing.
- Mix thoroughly and chill before serving (although it’s quite tasty warm too).
Other additions you could make include olives, tomatoes, goat cheese or feta, and fresh herbs like basil or thyme.