Oven “Fried” Pork Chops
My husband was less than enthused when I said we were having pork chops for dinner. So not the reaction I wanted. But he has a point. We’ve had grilled pork chops out the wazoo. So for something different, I decided to do some homemade Shake and Bake style pork chops. It’s a classic for a reason folks. The buttermilk keeps these nice and moist, and the hot sauce gives a great balance to the sweet of the corn flake breading.
- 4 pork chops (the ones I had were bone in, but I’d prefer boneless–about 1/2 inch thick)
- 2 cups of your favorite crushed cereal (I used cornflakes, but you could use anything within reason)
- 1-2 cups lowfat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- In the morning or at lunch, place your pork chops in a tupperware container with the buttermilk and Tabasco sauce. Shake well to coat.
- When ready to prepare for supper, pull out a pie plate and put about a 1/4th of the cereal on the bottom in a layer.
- With one hand, pick up the first pork chop and place into the pie plate with the breading.
- With the clean (dry) hand, add another 1/4th of the cereal. Pat with the dry hand until well coated.
- Place the chop on a baking rack suspended over a cookie sheet.
- Repeat with remaining chops.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.