Thoughtless Thursday: Steak and Vegetable Soup
How happy am I that fall seems to have finally arrived, and with it weather conducive to all the soups and stews I love to make? After the weekend’s excesses (can we say Halloween candy, roasted marshmallows, and more hot dogs than I care to admit that I ate?), I was in the mood for something healthy with loads of flavor. So of course I hit the freezer and immediately thought of some kind of crock pot soup, which of course I must pass on to Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen. I had 3 New York strips in the freezer, so I decided to turn them into a soup. Adding a jar of this and a handful of just about every other vegetable in my freezer, and I came up with this tasty and flavorful dish that goes great with a grilled cheese. Mmmm. This makes 4-5 servings in a 4 quart crock pot.
- 3 steaks (your choice…I used New York strips and trimmed all the fat) cut into 1″ cubes
- cooking spray
- 1 jar favorite salsa (I actually used some homemade canned salsa from my husband’s aunt)
- 1/3 cup green beans
- 1/3 cup sweet peas
- 1/3 cup lima beans
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1/2 cup diced sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup whole wheat macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and saute your steak until you get a nice caramelization.
- Add to crock pot.
- Add the salsa, vegetables, and beef broth, topping off the liquid with water (or more beef broth if you happen to have it).
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5.
- Throw the macaroni in at the tail end and cook until soft (about 15-20 minutes depending).
- Serve with your favorite grilled cheese.