Thoughtless Thursday: Beef Barley Soup
I know I made a beef barley porcini soup recently (and it was lovely), but hubby and I were in the mood for something light and savory (that didn’t necessitate the 800th run to the grocery store). This more classic beef barley soup was exactly right. I cannot extol the virtues of cooking with stock instead of water enough. There’s so much more flavor in the soup because of it. This soup makes 5-6 servings and goes marvelously with beer bread muffins. And while I haven’t sat down to calculate the fat and calories, I assure you that it’s minimal compared to anything you ate over the holiday. It’s also fairly low carb, with the primary source being the whole grain barley, which will keep your blood sugar more steady than the potatoes I used before. Enjoy!
- 1.5 to 2 pounds beef of your choice (I used strip steaks)
- 1.5 cups sliced carrots
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 4 oz. mushrooms
- fresh ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Add everything rom the beef to the beef stock to a 5-6 quart crock pot. Add an addictional cup or so of water if you like.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add the mushrooms and pepper and cook for an additional 30 minutes to an hour.
- Salt before serving.