Chicken and Rice in a White Wine Mushroom Sauce
I was feeling a little ill tonight, so I decided to take a page out of the dogs’ book and make up some chicken and rice. Except, being me, I can’t just make PLAIN chicken and rice. This threw together a lot of staples in my house and made use of the chicken thighs I pulled out of the freezer earlier in the week. It was quite tasty and pretty healthy. It makes 4 servings at around 500 calories each.
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in, skin off (you can certainly make this with chicken breasts as well)
- 1 regular coffee mug full of white rice
- 1 coffee mug full of white wine (I used a pinot grigio)
- 1 coffee mug full of chicken stock
- 4 oz. sliced, fresh mushrooms
- 1 can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- kosher salt
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken.
- Over medium heat, sear the chicken on both sides until you get a bit of caramelization.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine and stock.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup, onion powder, garlic powder, and parsley. Stir.
- Add the rice.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Cook over medium low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to unstick the rice.