Sesame Noodles with Shrimp and Vegetables
I promise I will eventually get myself together and be back on some kind of regular posting schedule. No crock pot today. Instead, I had a wicked craving for Chinese when I got home tonight. As I’m trying to be somewhat GOOD (I say try because I have every intention of polishing off the Cadbury eggs), I opted to make some at home rather than ordering from the local delivery place. Noodles and veggies were the order of the day. It’s the best way to bulk it up lean. And I added in some shrimp I found in the freezer. The end result was fast, tasty, and not too bad for you at 533 calories and 23 grams of fat per each of the two servings. A healthier option to offer up for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights.
- 4 oz. whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots (thawed)
- 1 package frozen peppers and onions (thawed)
- 2 oz. mushrooms, fresh
- 2 scallions, diced (green part only)
- 6 oz. shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/8 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1.5 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- This is all going to cook fast so the most prep goes into getting the ingredients organized and ready. Place the thawed peppers and onions (well drained) into a bowl. Place the shrimp, peas and carrots into a separate bowl. Place the garlic and ginger in another bowl (yeah, you’re gonna be doing a lot of dishes).
- In yet ANOTHER separate, large bowl, add the soy sauce, sesame oil, and chili sauce. Mix well and set aside. This is your sauce base.
- Start a pot of water boiling for your pasta.
- Add the pasta and cook according to package directions (about 8 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil over high heat in a wok or skillet.
- Add the peppers and onions. Stir fry for a few minutes or until tender crisp and starting to caramelize.
- Add to the big bowl with your sauce base.
- Wipe out the wok and add the second tablespoon of oil. Heat.
- Add the bowl of shrimp, peas, mushrooms, and carrots.
- Stir fry until shrimp are pink and veggies are starting to caramelize.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and stir fry for another 30 seconds. DON’T LET IT BURN.
- Add to the big bowl with the other veggies.
- Once the pasta is done, drain and add to the big bowl and toss with the veggies, shrimp, and sauce.
- Allow to sit and cool for about 5 minutes, tossing occasionally to see that all components are well covered and the pasta begins to absorb the sauce.
- Garnish with diced scallions.