Baked Mozzarella Sticks
Possibly our favorite eat out appetizer is cheese sticks. Ooey, gooey melty cheese, breaded in yumminess and fried. Can you get any better? As it happens it can get considerably better for you. Know why? Because–NEWSFLASH–you can bake ’em! Combine that with reduced fat cheese sticks and some marinara sauce and you have a healthy snack. Okay, maybe not something to eat every day, but definitely a fabulous treat for once in a while that won’t shatter your diet goals. It’s all about the method. Serves 2. Not quite sure about the fat and calories because I can never manage to calculate how much breading I use. But it’s not bad.
- 4 reduced fat mozzarella sticks like Frigo Cheeseheads
- pulverized corn flakes
- 1 egg, beaten
- Slice the cheese sticks in half so you have 8 sticks.
- Set up your breading station with a bowl for the egg, a plate for the corn flakes and a baking sheet.
- Dip the cheese in the egg, one piece at a time and roll in the cornflakes. Place on the cookie sheet.
- Repeat with all of them.
- Allow the sticks to rest for about twenty minutes for the breading to harden.
- Then repeat the egg, breading, rest.
- And repeat one more time. Yes, really. Three layers of breading.
- Allow to rest again.
- Now slide the cookie sheet in the freezer. Yes, the freezer.
- Freeze them for at least an hour and a half (I never said this was a FAST snack).
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Crank the heat down to 350 for the final 4 minutes, keeping your eye on them to make sure there’s no serious ooze. If it starts oozing too much, remove them from the oven, allow to cool for a bit, then pop them back in for another few minutes.
- Serve with your choice of marinara. We like Ragu Light Tomato Basil.