Black Beans and Rice
I can’t remember what I used a partial container of black beans on. Quesedillas maybe. In any event, I was left with a cup and a half of beans that needed a purpose. Usually in our house black beans and rice means a variation on red beans and rice…a spicy dish with sausage. But what I had in mind tonight was more of a side dish to accompany the grilled pork chops with peach and red pepper salsa. Paired up with brown rice, this came out as a very flavorful and filling side of 2 large servings at 332 calories and 2 grams of fat with a healthy dose of fiber and protein. This is a rice cooker recipe.
- 1.5 cups black beans
- 3/4 cup brown rice (raw) (this is about how much the cup that came with my rice cooker measures as 1)
- 1 packet ham bouillon
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, finely minced
- Add the rice and the bouillon to the cooker and fill to the appropriate line for 1, plus about a quarter cup of water. Stir well.
- Add the chipotle pepper and black beans. Stir well.
- Set to cook. Your rice cooker will turn off when it’s done (which is the beauty of rice cookers).