Cheeseburger Pie Lightened
It’s not what you’d call gourmet. It’s definitely not really pretty. This is more along the lines of a classic Mom meal, ranking up there with tuna casserole and spaghetti. Easy and basic, this classic was introduced by Bisquick forever ago (I remember seeing the recipe on the original yellow box when I was a kid). I found the original recipe over at Betty Crocker and made some adaptations to lighten up this family favorite. The end result was dinner that came together in about 40 minutes (most of which was bake time) on a night I definitely didn’t want to cook. Serves 6 at 268 calories and 12.2 grams of fat per serving (as compared to 325 calories and 25 grams of fat per slice). Add a side salad or a couple of veggie sides to round out the meal.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz. 2% cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Bisquick Heart Smart
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (replacing the whole onion, sauteed in the original recipe since my hubs is anti-onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Brown the ground beef.
- Drain and rinse with VERY hot water and allowed to drain further.
- Mix the milk, eggs, Bisquick and spices together, being sure to break up any lumps in the batter.
- Spray a 9 inch pie dish with cooking spray.
- Add the ground beef.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Pour the batter over the beef and cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.