Retake Homemade: Cowboy Casserole
This one was an adaptation of a recipe from the August/September 2010 Taste of Home (pg. 43). I loved the concept of this recipe, but I needed to make a few adjustments in the name of healthy and grown up. Tater tots are a thing of the school cafeteria and do not come into my house, so I changed those out for hash browns and doubled the beef as well as lightening the cheese, milk, soup, and sour cream. The end result was declared a winner by all. Serves 2 at 671 calories and 21 grams of fat and is a full meal in a bowl.
- 1 pound ground beef, browned, drained, and rinsed
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 can 98% fat free condensed, cream of chicken soup (original recipe called for 2/3 cup but I misread)
- 1/2 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese, divided in half
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 Tbsp light sour cream
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 cups frozen hash browns, divided
- Mix the milk, soup, sour cream, 1/4 cheese, onion powder, and pepper.
- Mix the browned beef and corn.
- In an 8×8 casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray, layer 1 1/2 cups of the hash browns.
- Add the liquid mixture to the beef and corn and mix well.
- Pour into the 8×8 dish over the hash browns.
- Add the remaining has browns over the top and top with the last of the cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your recipe and view the entire list of great Retake Homemade recipes!…