Spicy Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup
One of my favorite foods is sweet potato fries, something I discovered only last year. I just really dig the play of the faintly sweet of the potatoes against the chili powder. That flavor combo just really works for me. So I set out to try to duplicate that combination in a soup since I had a lone sweet potato and a butternut squash hanging out needing to be used. The end results were delicious, with just enough heat to make me happy. Makes 5, 1 cup servings at 205 calories and 6.8 grams of fat.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 medium onion
- chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, seeds removed
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and rough chop the sweet potato, squash, and onion.
- Toss them lightly in olive oil and place in a 9×13 baking dish.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- In a large dutch oven, add the chipotle pepper (no need to dice, you’re going to be pureeing this in the end), garlic, roasted veggies, and enough chicken stock to just cover the veggies in the pot.
- Add the salt and chili powder.
- Simmer on medium low for 1 hour.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.