Chicken Pasta in a Three Mushroom Cream Sauce
Rotisserie chicken is one of those great, versatile ingredients to have on hand. Rather than throw it on a salad, I decided to pair it up with a package of baby bellas I had in the fridge and some dried chantrelles and porcinis in the pantry to create a lightened cream sauce that’s just bursting with flavor. What a happy return to Presto Pasta Nights, hosted this week by Claire at Chez Cayenne. This comes in at 4 servings at 358 calories and 14.8 grams of fat. Serve with a side salad and a nice glass of prosecco.
- 8 oz. fresh baby bella mushrooms
- dried chantrelle mushrooms
- dried porcini mushrooms
- 15 oz. diced rotisserie chicken
- 4 oz. whole wheat pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fat free half and half
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp corn starch
- To start, you’ll want to heat your chicken stock. Stove top or nuke it. Not boiling but about as hot as your tap water would get.
- Pour it over the chantrelles and porcinis. You’ll let those soak for half an hour. Lots of people shun dried mushrooms, and indeed fresh is awesome, but I really love being able to use the liquid from the reconstituted dry ones. Fresh just doesn’t work the same.
- After the mushrooms are reconstituted, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, chop your mushrooms and reserve the liquid.
- Start your pasta water.
- Add to the skillet and saute over medium heat for about five minutes. Add a pinch of salt to bring out some of the liquid.
- Boil the pasta according to package directions.
- Remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- Add the reserved mushroom liquid and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, mix the corn starch with a couple of tablespoons of cold water, stirring until there are no lumps. Whisk liquid to the mushroom liquid.
- As it starts to bubble, whisk in the half and half.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add the mushrooms and chicken and stir until well coated.
- Add the sour cream and continue to stir until well coated and heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add parsley.
- Drain the pasta.
- Add the pasta to the sauce mixture. Stir.
- Bon appetite!