Gluten Free Friday: Sausage and Cheddar Biscuits
When we found out hubs had to go gluten free, one of the things at the top of the list for me to figure out was biscuits. Now my go-to recipe for gluten free biscuits comes from Gluten Free Cooking School. We like them exactly as they’re listed, but of course I have to play. My original concept was stuffed biscuits, but then I decided that it would be better to just mix the sausage and cheese all THROUGH the biscuit. Like a muffin. But you know, still a biscuit. The end result was a muffin size ball of deliciousness that tastes just like a favorite southern treat: SAUSAGE BALLS. Makes 1 dozen.
- 3/4 c. brown rice flour
- 1 c. corn starch
- 1/4 c. sorghum flour
- 1tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 stick of butter (chilled in the freezer)
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp egg whites
- 4 oz. cooked crumbled sausage (I used turkey sausage)
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl thoroughly combine the flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum.
- Grate the butter into the flour using the small holed side of a box grater. Mix the butter into the flour so that there are no large balls of grated butter.
- Add the cheese and mix well.
- Add the sausage.
- Add the buttermilk, water, vinegar and egg whites to the flour and stir until the dry and liquid ingredients are combined.
- Spray a couple of muffin tins with cooking spray and scoop the dough in.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to cool on wire racks.