Chicken Biscuit Pie
This is definitely not a gluten free recipe (although you could replace the biscuits on top with gluten free biscuits to make it so). It was an adaptation of this recipe from All Recipes, which I fixed on because I found a can of Grands biscuits hanging out in the back of the fridge from right before we discovered hubs was gluten intolerant. I rarely eat biscuits, not because I don’t like them but because they generally don’t fit into my calorie budget. But I ate these and it was a marvelous use for “wampum” (my critique partner Susan Bischoff refers to canned biscuits as wampum because you have to whomp ’em against the counter to open). This makes 6 servings at 521 calories and 13.3 grams of fat per serving.
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 12 oz frozen peas and carrots
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs garlic clove, minced
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbs corn starch
- 6 Grands style biscuits
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
3. Add the onion and garlic.
4. Saute until soft (about 5 minutes).
5. Add the chicken stock and milk.
6. Mix the corn starch with 1/3 cup cold water until smooth then add that.
7. Simmer over medium heat.
8. Add the peas, carrots, corn, peppers, chicken, and whatever else you might like.
9. Add the spices.
10. Stir well and bring back to a simmer.
11. Simmer until sauce is thickened.
12. Pour into a greased baking dish.
13. Top with 6 Grands biscuits.
14. Bake for 12-15 minutes.