Gluten Free Friday: Bruschetta, Quinoa, and Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppers
Red peppers were on special at Kroger a week or two ago, and I bought four with no idea what I intended to do with them. Time passed and, like half the contents of my fridge, I forgot about them. Found them again yesterday and determined I must stuff them with something! I have a recipe for a roasted red pepper bruschetta that’s AWESOME, so I decided to do a riff on that and mix it in with quinoa for a nice vegetarian (and gluten free) side (which also warmed up to make a lovely lunch). Serves 4 at 362 calories and 16 grams of fat.
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 leaves basil, chopped
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 15 oz diced tomato
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile drain the tomatoes.
3. Mix the tomatoes with the garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, basil, and olive oil.
4. Meanwhile, core the peppers, cutting the top out and removing ribs and seeds.
5. In a large pot, bring water to a boil.
6. Boil peppers for 5 minutes or until just softened.
7. Drain and cool.
8. Once quinoa is cooked, add to the tomato mixture and stir until well combined.
9. Add the crumbled goat cheese and stir until well combined.
10. Stuff the mixture into the peppers.
11. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes.