Gluten Free Friday: Sausage Pancakes
You know how good breakfast sausage tastes dragged through maple syrup? Well, at least if you’re southern. My friend from New York swears this meat and sweet thing is southern. In any event, it’s delicious. So I decided that the ultimate savory/sweet breakfast would be pancakes with the sausage IN THEM. And they were AWESOME. I deliberately include bean flour in these breakfast recipes because it really helps you feel fuller on less, so beware that eating your usual tall stack might make you regret it later! I usually eat 2. Hubby eats 3. Makes 10 pancakes at 195 calories and 10 grams of fat apiece.
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup garfava flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lb turkey breakfast sausage cooked
1. Brown and rinse your sausage. Set aside.
2. Mix all your dry ingredients and make a well in the middle.
3. Mix your wet ingredients.
4. Add the wet to dry and stir until well incorporated.
5. Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles.
6. Spray with cooking spray.
7. Pour batter into skillet in 1/4 cup quantities.
8. Add crumbled sausage into the wet batter.
9. Cook until edges begin to brown and top begins to bubble.
10. Flip and cook another minute or so until done.
11. Pop the finished pancakes into the oven on warm while you finish the remaining pancakes.
12. Serve with maple syrup.