Gluten Free Friday: Cheddar Corn Muffins
My husband and I have a long standing argument on the subject of cornbread. I am of the opinion that sugar doesn’t belong anywhere near cornbread. Cornbread is a savory affair. If there’s sugar involved, it’s not truly cornbread, it’s johnny cake. Hubby loves the sweet stuff. I almost never fix it, but when I found this recipe in an issue of Martha Stuart Living, I decided to give in. Go Martha for offering a gluten free version of something. I did a bit of adapting, as the original recipe called for potato starch and lately hubs has been having strange reactions to potatoes. This makes 12 muffins at 156.82 calories and 4.64g fat.
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 3 tsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Spray your muffin tins with cooking spray.
3. Whisk together cornmeal, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl.
4. Whisk together buttermilk, applesauce, and eggs in a second bowl.
5. Fold the wet into the dry, then carefully fold in the shredded cheese.
6. Spoon into your muffin tins, filling to about 3/4th full.
7. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
8. Transfer pan to a wire rack for 10 minutes before turning muffins out to rack to cool completely.