Black-Eyed Pea Chili
Black-eyed peas are just not one of my favorite things. I’m a Mississippi girl so I prefer purple hull peas. But black-eyed peas are the thing for New Year’s fare, so I had to do something with them. A few years ago at a New Year’s party I had some black-eyed pea chili. I have no idea what recipe she used, so I made up my own. It’s hearty and healthy, making 4 servings at 433 calories and 9 grams of fat. Adding some sour cream, cheese, and corn chips and you’ve got a meal.
- 1 lb black-eyed peas, raw
- 1 lb turkey sausage, browned and rinsed
- 1 can rotel, undrained
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 tbs dried onion
- 1 tbs oregano
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 32 oz. beef broth
1. Soak your black-eyed peas overnight. Drain and rinse, and soak again while you prep everything else.
2. Brown and rinse your sausage, then add to the crock pot.
3. Add the rotel, garlic, onion, oregano, cumin, and chili powder.
4. Drain and rinse the peas again, then add to the crock pot.
5. Add the beef stock and stir until well combined.
6. Cook on high for 6 hours.