Gluten Free Friday: Chicken and Dumplings
This is not my mama’s chicken n’ dumplins. Hers is made with Bisquick dumplins and no matter how many times I try, I can’t seem to make it the same. And of course now with the gluten thing, hubby couldn’t eat it anyway. Since I have been sick and am responsible for making my own comfort food, I opted to try to make my own gluten free chicken and dumplins. This doesn’t have the pretty, rolled out dumplings–it’s a very rustic drop in dumpling, but all in all it came out remarkably well considering the total experimentation. Makes 4 servings at 764 calories and 20.5 grams of fat.
- 2 Chicken breasts — boned and skinned, cut into chunks
- 4 chicken thighs boneless
- 12 oz mirepoix
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
1. Carefully trim off any remaining skin or fat from your chicken.
2. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
3. Add chicken, stock, mirepoix, water, kosher salt, pepper, and thyme to the crock pot.
4. Cook on high for 4 hours.
5. Whisk remaining dry ingredients together.
6. Mix the buttermilk, butter (let it cool a bit first), and egg white together. Add to the dry.
7. Mix until just combined.
8. Drop in large teaspoons full into the crock pot.
9. Cover with a dish towel, then cover with the top of the crock pot for 15-20 minutes or until dumpings have doubled in size and toothpicks inserted in the center come out clean.