Gluten Free Friday: Apple Brown Betty
I blame The Pioneer Woman for this. It looked SO AWESOME on the show a couple weeks ago while I was working out (yes, I watch cooking shows while I exercise–I’m perverse that way) that I just HAD TO MAKE IT. Of course I adapted it somewhat to make it gluten free and to cut down on the fat and calories a LITTLE (not enough that I actually wanted to calculate it, though). It’s such a marvelously simple dessert that uses up some staples and leftovers, like bread going stale. Definitely a winner.
- 6 slices of gluten free bread (I used my gluten free sourdough)
- 3 apples (I used ambrosia), peeled, cored, and sliced thin
- 3/4 cup brown sugar Splenda
- 1 stick of butter
- cinnamon to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter your casserole dish.
- Slice your bread into small chunks. Divide into three batches.
- Layer the first batch onto the bottom of your casserole dish.
- Layer a third of the apples over that.
- Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the brown sugar Splenda.
- Repeat with the remaining bread chunks, apples, and Splenda until you have 3 layers.
- Dice your butter into chunks and layer over the top.
- Now at this point PW sprinkled 3-4 tablespoons of water over the top. I forgot and it turned out fine.
- She also said to cover in foil while baking until the end. I forgot that too.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream or Cool Whip.