Gluten Free Friday: Sourdough Pizza Crust and Bacon Cheeseburger Sourdough Pizza
We love pizza. It is, so far as we are concerned, one of the world’s perfect foods. I am always in the market for trying something new and inventive with pizza and this time I decided, you know what, I bet soudough crust would be AWESOME. There was a local pizza place in my hometown growing up that had a slightly sweet crust that I adored, and I figured out as an adult that it was probably a sourdough crust. I’ve never made soudough crust before–gluten free or otherwise, so I had to do a bit of research to see what went in a normal one before I could sort out how to convert it. The end result was a delicious crust that came in at 332 calories and just over 9 grams of fat per serving (1/4 pie). Please note that this doesn’t include the toppings (you can, of course use anything you’d like) .
Ingredients for the crust:
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1.5 cups sourdough starter
Ingredients for the Bacon Cheeseburger Sourdough Pizza:
- 1 batch of soudough pizza dough
- 1 pound ground beef, browned, drained and rinsed
- 8 slices of applewood smoked bacon, diced and cooked, and drained on paper towels
- 3 ounces smoked gouda, shredded
- 1 ounce smoked cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup pizza sauce
1. Mix your starter, eggs, and vinegar in a non-metal bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix your dry ingredients.
3. Add the dry to the wet and mix well.
4. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size. This could take anywhere from an hour to a few hours.
5. When you’re ready to prepare your pizza, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
6. Now you could do this on a pizza stone, but I actually recommend a silicone mat because this is a WET DOUGH.
7. Sprinkle your surface with corn meal.
8. Spread the dough with a rubber spatula to desired thickness (I like it maybe 1/8-1/4″ thick).
9. Bake for 5 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and top with your preferred pizza toppings (we like bacon, beef, and cheese).
11. Bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melty.