Greek Stuffed Peppers
Traditional stuffed peppers use rice and tend to have a bit of an Italian flare in our household. But I got this marvelous BRICK of feta from Sam’s Club on my last trip and I decided to adapt my recipe to be a little more Greek in nature. The switch to quinoa made for a filling, protein packed dinner.
- 3-4 large bell peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup raw quinoa
- 1 cup water (for the quinoa)
- 1 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- Brown the ground beef. Drain, rinse, and add to a medium mixing bowl.
- Core the peppers.
- Set a large pot of water to boil and submerge the peppers. Boil for approximately 3 minutes, then remove and set aside to cool.
- Drain the can of tomatoes, reserving the liquid. Add the tomatoes to the bowl with the beef.
- Add the quinoa when it’s done.
- Add the spices and the feta. Stir until all is well incorporated.
- Stuff the peppers with the meat filling. Set into a 9×9 baking dish (spray with cooking spray first).
- Pour the reserved tomato juice over the top of the peppers.
- Bake for 30 minutes.