Gluten Free Friday: Grilled Chicken and Summer Tomato Pasta
I first saw the inspiration of this recipe on one of Ina Garten’s shows on the Food Network. It sounded so lovely and light–a bit too light for this carnivorous household. So I added in chicken, cut down the overall portions for just two people, and came up with a pasta dish that my hubs loved. Beware it is quite light. We both wanted something else within half an hour of this meal. But it would make a great summer lunch or dinner when you plan for dessert.
- 1 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- Good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tsps dried basil (or approximately 6 fresh basil leaves julienned)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces your preferred gluten free pasta (we used Tikyada brown rice fettuccine)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Combine the cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, basil leaves, red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and set aside at room temperature for about 4 hours.
- When you’re ready to actually eat, preheat your grill.
- Season your chicken thighs with additional salt, pepper, basil, and red pepper flakes (this is mostly to taste).
- Preheat your grill to medium.
- Just before you’re ready to serve, bring a large pot of water with a splash of olive oil and a tablespoon of salt to a boil and add the pasta. Cook al dente according to the directions on the package.
- Cook your chicken thighs approximately 4-5 minutes a side.
- Drain the pasta well and add to the bowl with the cherry tomatoes.
- Add the cheese and some extra fresh basil leaves and toss well.
- Dice the chicken and add it to the pasta. Toss well.
- Serve in big bowls with extra cheese on each serving.