Gluten Free Friday: Skillet Lasagna
My husband swore for years he didn’t like lasagna. Which made exactly no sense as he likes spaghetti, eats ricotta and cottage cheese in other stuff I make and generally likes everything IN lasagna. So I decided to get sneaky and make a skillet lasagna (which, let’s face it, is easier anyway). Which he ate and really liked. Then I made the big reveal that he’d basically eaten lasgana. And I finally asked, “What did you not like about lasagna?” “The part that gets crusty.” :pause: “So you’ve never had NOT BURNED lasagna?” Possibly if all he’d ever eaten was of the freezer variety, he’s never actually had GOOD lasagna. Either way, it’s off the banned list, much to my relief! Serves 4 at 696.72 calories and 29.49 grams of fat.
- pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces pasta
- 1 jar arrabiata sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes with garlic
- 16 ounces simply cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 4 ounces water
1. Brown and drain the ground beef.
2. Return to skillet.
3. Add the tomatoes, arrabiata sauce, pasta, water and spices.
4. Stir until all the pasta is covered.
5. Cover and cook for however long your type of pasta requires (gluten free pasta typically takes longer).
6. Test the pasta for doneness.
7. Turn off the heat.
8. Spoon globs of cottage cheese all over the top and cover with the mozzarella cheese.
9. Cover with the lid and allow to sit for about 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
10. Stir to incorporate and serve!