Gluten Free Friday: Chicken Spaghetti
This totally started out as a means to make chicken rotel, but when I got out all the ingredients, I discovered I didn’t have a single can of rotel! This is an unheard of state of affairs because we always have rotel. But anyway, I had to make some changes. All these sorts of casseroles use cream of mushroom soup, which as we all know, is not gluten free. I’ve been on the hunt for a substitute, and I think I’ve finally hit on one that’s flavorful and delicious, inspired by a recipe in You Won’t Believe It’s Gluten Free. It’s really more a hybrid of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken but that’s just right for this casserole. Makes 6 delicious servings at 564 calories and 19 grams of fat.
- 4 oz mushrooms finely chopped
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbs plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 green bell pepper — chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 ounces diced green chilies, drained well
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lb 2% Velveeta, cut into cubes
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 12 oz gluten free spaghetti (I used Tinkyada)
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions, less 3 or 4 minutes (it will finish cooking in the oven).
2. Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium high heat and spray with cooking spray.
3. Add the diced onion and peppers and saute until the onion is translucent.
4. Add the remaining mushrooms, chilis, and chicken to the skillet. Stir until well combined.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
6. Add the finely chopped mushrooms and cook until very fragrant and tender (about 5 minutes).
7. Combine cornstarch, salt, and a bit of water in a cup and stir until well combined. You want a slurry.
8. Add to the sauce pan. Add a cup of chicken stock.
9. Stirring, bring to a boil and allow the mixture to thicken.
10. Add mushroom mixture to skillet.
11. Reduce heat to medium low.
12. Add seasoning salt, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
13. Add the Velveeta and remaining stock and stir until melted.
14. Drain the spaghetti and add to the skillet. Stir until well combined.
15. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
16. Place a 3 quart baking dish on a cookie sheet (to catch drips).
17. Pour the contents of the skillet in and bake for 30 minutes.