Gluten Free Friday: Corn-Based Flatbread
This recipe comes from the fabulous You Won’t Believe It’s Gluten Free. I have consistently been super impressed by the bread recipes I’ve tried from this book. Unlike most of the gluten free breads I’ve tried, these don’t tear super easily and truly hold up like real bread. We used these for gyros and they never split once folded. A real winner! This makes 4 flatbreads at 269 calories and 7.29g of fat.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1.5 tbs sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1.25 cups cornstarch
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1.25 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a really big baking sheet (or two–you want room for 4 flatbreads at about an 8 inch diameter).
2. Combine the oil and sugar in your mixer.
3. Add the egg whites and beat until really frothy.
4. Add all the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
5. The dough is gonna start off seeming pretty thin, but keep beating it until thickened.
6. Using a half cup measuring cup sprayed with cooking spray (so the dough won’t stick), drop 1/2 cupfuls onto the prepared baking sheet.
7. Wet your hands and press the dough really thin (you’re aiming for 1/8th inch thickness). You’re gonna feel like that’s SUPER thin, but believe me, it puffs up. If you want a super puffy flatbread, don’t go quite that thin.
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.