Creamy, Meaty Baked Ziti
We had people over for supper this past weekend, and I’d planned to make my Extra Meaty Baked Ziti. Well, this is what I get for not checking my ingredients before I went to the grocery. I didn’t have the cottage cheese or fresh mozzarella. Rather than change the menu entirely, I just opted to make some variations and see what I could do to marry the meaty ziti my husband loves with the uber decadent baked ziti that is my favorite. The end result was a marvelous mix of the two that everyone agreed was a keeper. Serves 8 at 575 calories and 33 grams of fat. I recommend pairing with a nice side salad and a dry red wine. Unfortunately we were so focused on the actual eating, I forgot to snap a pic. But trust me, it’s tasty.
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 pound turkey breakfast sausage cooked
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 4 ounces sliced black olives, drained
- 24 ounces arrabiata sauce
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers,diced
- 8 ounces gluten free pasta
- 3/4 cup light sour Cream
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, non-fat
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions, less 2-3 minutes. It’s going to cook more in the casserole itself.
3. Brown the ground beef.
4. Drain and rinse.
5. Brown the sausage.
6. As the sausage is cooking, add the chopped mushrooms and cook until softened.
7. Add the ground beef back in.
8. Turn off the heat.
9. Add the olives, the can of tomatoes (undrained), the arrabiata sauce, the roasted red peppers, tomato paste, oregano, salt, red pepper flakes and mix thoroughly.
10. Add the pasta and mix until well incorporated.
11. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
12. Pour half the pasta mixture into the dish.
13. Mix the yogurt and sour cream until well combined and spread half of it over the layer in the baking dish.
14. Add half the mozzarella.
15. Pour remaining pasta into baking dish and repeat sour cream and cheese layer.
16. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
17. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes, until cheese is melty.