Gluten Free Friday: Kolaches (or Pigs in a Blanket)
One of our family’s favorite holiday breakfast foods are kolaches. Other folks call them pigs in a blanket, but my mama always called them kolaches, so kolaches they are. The usual version are made with cocktail sausages and a can of whampum biscuits (you know, the rolls that you whamp against the counter to open), which are not, of course, gluten free. So hubs has been missing them. I determined that I was going to find a way to make them for him. I’ve made gluten free biscuits before, but the dough I had was not very…well, doughy, and therefore wouldn’t wrap around the sausages. So I went in search. And of course Jeanne from the Art of Gluten Free Baking swooped in to save the day (she always does) with her recipe for Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits. The end result was delicious (though as with many gluten free baked stuff, not as good reheated as fresh). Bonus, you can mix up all the dry ingredients with the butter the night before and just add the buttermilk day of to save yourself some time in the morning.
- 1 package of cocktail sausages
- 1 recipe of gluten free buttermilk biscuit dough
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- On a silicone mat, press or roll out your biscuit dough until maybe 1/8th an inch thick. You don’t want to add a bunch of extra flours or the kolaches will be mealy. So silicone is your friend.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into strips about 1 inch by maybe 3 inches (this isn’t a precise thing).
- You might need a dough scraper to pry the strips up.
- Wrap each strip around a cocktail sausage.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet, allowing room between for the kolaches to puff.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (start peeking at 12…you don’t want these to get too brown).