Gluten Free Chicken Croquettes
January 6, 2015
This recipe is an adaptation for Alton Brown’s recipe for Tuna Croquettes. I wound up trying it with canned chicken and it has become, essentially, the grown up chicken nugget of our household. It’s a great, tasty solution to “what’s for dinner?” when you didn’t have a chance to thaw anything.
- 1 12 oz. can of shredded chicken, drained
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp fresh scallions (just the green parts) minced
- 1/2 cup + more for breading GF panko breadcrumbs (The cheat easy version I use for this is to blitz a box of Corn Chex and a box of Rice Chex in the blender…it’s a great, crunchy breading and cheaper than the specialized GF breadcrumbs)
- neutral oil to fry in (I use sunflower)
- Drain and fluff your chicken (just break up the chunks as they come out of the can).
- Add your eggs, mustard, lemon juice, salt, scallions, and the 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs. Stir well to combine.
- Set up a tray or plate with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Scoop up the mixture and form into patties (approximately 2 inches across) and set aside on the parchment paper to hang out for about fifteen minutes. The excess moisture will drain off and/or be absorbed by the breadcrumbs mixed in, creating COHESION.
- Add more breadcrumbs to a pie plate.
- One at a time, coat the croquettes in breadcrumbs. This makes about 8 croquettes.
- Preheat your oil to medium heat. You don’t need a lot, just enough to cover the bottom of your skillet.
- Cook croquettes approximately 4-5 minutes a side, or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels before serving.