Gluten Free Friday: Lemon Icebox Pie
I love pie. I love pie so much that growing up I had birthday PIE instead of birthday cake. My favorite is one of the easiest around, lemon icebox. The only component of this that has to be adapted to be gluten free is the graham cracker crust. I used this recipe from About.com and the graham style crumbs from Kinnikinnick (Amazon FTW!). You would never know that this wasn’t regular graham cracker. Well, except for one small detail. After the pie has chilled, the crust tends to stick to the dish. I’m not sure why and I haven’t sorted out how to solve this problem. Perhaps spraying the pie dish with cooking spray first? If you figure THAT out, let me know. Serves 6-8.
- 1 prepared pie crust, store bought or using this gluten free recipe
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (note that this is not evaporated milk)
- 2 lemons
- 1 small container of Cool Whip (I know, this is probably some kind of foodie sin, but go with it)
- Zest one lemon, then juice them both.
- Mix the zest and juice with the sweetened condensed milk until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Top with the Cool Whip.
- Chill for at least a couple of hours, until filling is set.