Gluten Free Dairy Free Corn Dog Bites
It’s football Armageddon here in Mississippi today. The Bulldogs are taking on the Aggies and the Rebels are going head to head with Alabama. All four are undefeated. It’s TENSE. This means marathon game watching all day and requires appropriate game time sustenance. This is a bit harder now that cheese dip has been taken off the menu (because, dude, nothing says football like chips and rotel). But I didn’t give up! I had half a pack of uncured beef hot dogs from Kroger’s Simple Truth line, so I decided to whip out my mini muffin pan and try my hand at corn dog bites. Since they disappeared in about five minutes, I’m gonna call this a win. Makes 24 corn dog bites. #HailState #HottyToddy
- 1/4 cup melted Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond milk (soured with 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 hot dogs cut into 6 pieces each
- Spray mini muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a glass measuring cup, measure almond milk and add the vinegar and let sit a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, melt Earth Balance in microwave. Add sugar and use a spatula or wooden spoon, to mix into Earth Balance. Add eggs.
- Then add baking soda, mix together.
- Add almond milk/baking soda to the Earth Balance/sugar/egg mixture and mix just until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, and salt. Add to wet ingredients and stir until well mixed.
- Fill muffin tin cups with 1 Tbsp of batter per cup.
- Press a bite sized piece of hot dog into each muffin cup.
- Bake at 375º for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with crumbs only and muffin top doesn’t sink in if pressed with fingertip.
- Cool in pan for 2-3 minutes. Remove muffins from pan to cool on a cooling rack until ready to serve. So, you know, 2 minutes to keep from burning your mouth.