We have a local tavern here that’s famous for New York style pizza. They have one called the Aphrodite that’s like an gyro, but a pizza. I always adapt it to use pizza sauce instead of the cucumber sauce, and add mushrooms to the lamb and onion. It’s awful for you but SO SO GOOD. Since I’m on a crusade to make better food choices, and since tavern pizza is now a no no with hubs gluten intolerance, I decided to make a small, reasonable portion of this pizza at home. It still comes out to 850 calories and 30 grams of fat per pizza, but it’s a WHOOOOOLE lot better than the real deal from the tavern.
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 pieces of Naan
- 1/2 cup you preferred pizza sauce (I used a prepared arrabiatta sauce)
- 6 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced fat feta
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Greek seasoning
- 1 pinch ground coriander
- Mix all the seasonings together for your spice mix.
- Brown your lamb.
- Meanwhile set up your Naan on a cookie sheet.
- Add your pizza sauce.
- Drain and rinse.
- In the last little bit of grease in the skillet, saute the mushrooms with a teaspoon of the seasoning mix.
- Remove to the Naan.
- Return the rinsed lamb to the skillet with the remaining seasoning and 1/2 cup water.
- Add the onion.
- Simmer until liquid is reduced and onion is soft (like you would for taco meat).
- Divide mixture between the two Naan pizzas.
- Add 1/4 of feta and 1/4 cup of mozzarella to each pizza.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melty.