Gluten Free Friday: Corn Based Biscuits
Were a southern family, so we LOVE our biscuits. I’ve tried a few other gluten free biscuit recipes that were tasty but…well, frankly, they were a pain in the butt to make. Grating butter? I’m a klutz. I’d just as soon not have extra protein from my knuckles in the recipe from that process. So when I came across this recipe in You Won’t Believe It’s Gluten Free (pg. 95), I got EXCITED. They’re so EASY. And they really taste like proper biscuits! I made up some turkey sausage patties to eat with these and oh, we were HAPPY. Makes 6 biscuits at 196 calories and 8 grams of fat.
- 4 tbs butter
- 1 1/3 cups corn starch
- 1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 375 and grease your baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, blend everything but the milk and vinegar. Mix well.
3. Add the milk and vinegar. Mix well.
4. The dough is going to be really lose and not at all what you’d think of as dough, but be careful with it, turning it out onto your baking sheet.
5. With wet hands, pat out the dough on the baking sheet to 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick (I’d go for thicker).
6. Cut into 6 biscuits and gently separate with your knife. They won’t be perfectly round pretty biscuits, but the flavor is excellent.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the biscuits begin to brown.