Gluten Free Dairy Free Bacon Corn Chowder
January 20, 2015
I have approximately a zillion different versions of corn chowder. It’s one of those super simple dishes that’s fast and easy as a pantry meal. Then you can add in whatever meats you prefer or have on hand to bulk it up a bit. This one highlights the glory of bacon (and who doesn’t love that?) and has been converted to be dairy free.
- 8 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 12 oz bag of frozen corn
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 ounces Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese or other dairy free cream cheese substitute
- In a heavy dutch oven (I used my Le Crueset), cook the bacon over medium low heat until crispy.
- Remove to paper towels to drain with a slotted spoon.
- Pour off all but about a tablespoon of the remaining bacon grease. Be sure to leave all the browned bits at the bottom! That is flavor, my friend!
- Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the frozen corn, stir, and cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until the kernels start to get a little caramelized.
- Slowly add the chicken stock, stirring with a wooden spoon to get up those browned bits at the bottom.
- Add the can of creamed corn and spices and stir well.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover, cooking for 15 minutes.
- Remove the top and add in the faux cream cheese, stirring constantly until it’s melted into the soup.
- Add the bacon and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with a good crusty bread. Or you can be like me and make a grilled cheese. This was my experiment with Go Veggie’s Vegan Cheddar slices. Which make a passably good grilled cheese, though it seems that once the stuff melts, the bread really absorbs it.