Retake Homemade: Mini Pizza Puffs
The inspiration for this recipe hails from the April 2010 issue of Everyday With Rachael Ray (pg. 83). I offer this up as a homemade alternative to stuff like Totinos pizza roles. They’re fresh, light, easy as can be, and a WHOLE lot healthier. I made a few substitutions to the original recipe to lighten things up. These are a fantastic appetizer for parties or snack to keep around the house. Freeze on a cookie sheet and pop into a freezer bag then reheat at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Makes 24 puffs at 47 calories and 1.8 grams of fat apiece (not counting the pizza sauce for dipping).
Variations: You can change up the fillings to any of your favorite pizza toppings so long as you chop them small.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup skim milk (original recipe called for whole)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 5 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese (original called for 4 oz.)
- 3.5 oz. turkey pepperoni, diced (original called for 4 oz.)
- 3.5 oz. baby bella mushrooms, finely diced (my addition)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (my addition)
- 1/2 cup store bought or homemade pizza sauce (I actually like Ragu Light Tomato and Basil marinara for this)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray a 24 cup mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and egg.
- Add the flour and baking powder and whisk until there are no clumps.
- Add the Italian seasoning.
- Stir in the mozzarella, pepperoni, and mushrooms.
- Allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Stir batter well and divide among the mini muffin cups.
- Bake until puffed and golden, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with warmed pizza sauce for dipping.
Don’t forget to check out these other great Retake Homemade recipes. Follow the linky!
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view the entire list of entered links…